TOASTY TOES Basic Felted Crocheted Slippers FREE Pattern

In December I took a trip to Bisbee, AZ, to visit my son, his lovely wife, and my grandson.  What a BEAUTIFUL area to visit!  The people, the shopping, the countryside!!  It was all so wonderful!!

Me and my Dear Hubby posing for a picture at scenic lookout over Old Bisbee.




I had several opportunities to peruse the stores in Old Bisbee.  I was DELIGHTED to find that there was a Fiber Store located in the basement of the historic Bisbee Community Y just up the street from the Copper Queen Hotel.  There were many completed hand made items for sale, as well as a selection of fiber.  I couldn't help myself and purchased two skeins of Bulky Weight yarn from a local Ranch, the Sky Island Brand/47 Ranch located north of Bisbee in the Mule Mountains, Sky Island Girls has a shop on Etsy  (the girls are the sheep) and is currently working on getting a facebook page set up as well.  There were two colors available, and of course I could not make up my mind.  The Owner, Deb Moroney, told me that she has will have all 5 natural colors in stock by mid February.

Before I left the Fiber Store I had already decided that I was going to design a pair of felted slippers.  Within a week I had two pair made (one for me and one for my dear daughter in law).  Each pair takes less than one skein of yarn and if you need the smallest size, you can eke out TWO pair from one skein!! WOOHOOO!!!

NOTE:  This wool is very unique.  I did try duplicating the slippers in another brand of bulky yarn and it did not work up the same size. But no worries here!  Sky Island Girls Yarn ROCKS!!!!



Remember....I am a human and sometimes make mistakes!!  If you find an error with my pattern, please let me know in the comment section and I will try to correct it as soon as possible!!!


This is an Original Design by Amy B Stitched. Feel free to make for profit, but remember to give credit to me, and link back to my blog www.amysastitchatatime.blogspot.com  
Thank You!!! Amy B


A lot of hard work goes into writing patterns.  Please feel free to share the link, but do not copy and distribute this pattern by any other means.


If you like getting my FREE patterns and don't want to miss out on any future ones, you can subscribe to my blog and have all of my new entries delivered straight to your email inbox! Just type your email address into the field on the right hand column under the heading "follow by email" and click submit.  Be sure to check your email (sometimes it will end up in your junk/spam folder) and follow the verification steps for your subscription to be complete!!

Blessings!!!

Amy B


TOASTY TOES

BASIC FELTED CROCHET SLIPPERS



Materials: 
·         Sky Island Girls 100% Navaja-Churro Wool Yarn, Chunky 150 yds, 8 oz. (S: 72 yds, M: 78 yds, L: 90 yds, XL: 96 yds)
·         Size N crochet hook
·         Large eyed blunt yarn  needle
·         Dish soap and hot water for felting

Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large (approx. womens sizes 5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11)
·         Approximate FINISHED sole measurements will depend on your felting: 9 inches (9 ½, 10, 10 ½ )

Gauge: I have used pre-felted measurements as these work up quickly and I do not want to waste my wool doing a gauge swatch.  Measurements are with slipper laying on its side flat and will be listed below in this order S, (M, L, X-Large)
·         From Toe to Heel:  10 inches, ( 10 ½, 11, 11 ½ )                   
·         Instep to Sole:  4 ½ inches, (4 ½, 5, 5)     
·         Ankle edge to Sole:  3 ¾ inches, (3 ¾, 4, 4)

* Instructions are for S with changes for M, L, and XL in parenthesis
**NOTE: chains at beginning of the round/row do NOT count as a stitch

STITCHES AND TERMS USED:
·         Ch – chain
·         Hdc – half double crochet
·         Sl st – slip stitch
·         St – stitch
·         Sc – single crochet

Rnd 1: Ch 3, hdc 8 times in 3rd ch from hook.  Sl St in top of 1st hdc to join.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 hdc in each st around. Sl st in first hdc to join.  (16)
Rnd 3: Ch 1, [2 hdc in next st, hdc next 7 (7, 3, 3) sts] 2 (2, 4, 4) times. Sl st in first hdc to join.  (18, 18, 20, 20)
Small and Medium Rnd 4-7: Ch 1, hdc in each st around. Sl st in first hdc to join.  (18)
Row 8: Medium ONLY will turn at the beginning of this round, Small will not turn. Ch 1, hdc in next 13 sts.
Row 9-14(15): Ch 1, turn. Hdc in each st across. (13)
Large and X-Large Rnd 4-8: Ch 1, hdc in each st around. Sl st in first hdc to join.  (20)
Row 9: Large ONLY will turn at the beginning of this round, X-Large will not turn. Ch 1, hdc in next 14 sts.
Row 10-16 (17): Ch 1, turn. Hdc in each st across. (14)

EDGE:
Ch 1, DO NOT TURN. Working down the side of the rows, sc 7 (8, 9, 10) evenly. Sc across the instep 5 (5, 6, 6) sts. Working down the other side rows, sc 7 (8, 9, 10) evenly. Sl st in the first sc to join.  (This will leave an opening in the heel that will be closed up after the next rnd). (19, 21, 24, 26)
Next Rnd: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st in 1st sc.  Cut, leaving a long tail for sewing heel end closed.

FINISH: Thread tail onto large eyed blunt needle.  Turn heel inside out and whip stitch the opening closed. Weave the tail back through the stitches, pulling slightly to pull the heel upwards, then weave the tail back through the stitches again, securing the shape of the heel.

FELTING: there are many ways to felt your finished slippers.  I prefer to hand felt my items, that way I can easily check the progress and stop when the appropriate size is reached.  Below is a link for instructions if you are unfamiliar with this process. 


the stitch definition did not disappear on this pair of slippers, but they are still very nice and cozy!!


Comments

Popular Posts