Reusable Produce Bags FREE Crochet Pattern


Communities across the globe have begun banning single use plastic bags. For some of my followers here, this is old news and you have been using reusable bags for some time now.  For some of you, it has just happened and you are looking at your options.  And then there are those like me, where a ban is not imposed, but you see what these are doing to our oceans (I live on the Gulf Coast) and marine life and want to make a difference. 

I have been collecting my single use plastic shopping bags for years and crocheting them up into reusable totes.  I don't have a set pattern that I use, but a formula that has evolved over the years.  Lately I had begun looking at the number of produce bags that I was throwing away and realized I could come up with something really simple and inexpensive to make.  My first trip to the grocery store using these I had a woman stop me asking where I got them.  You KNOW I had to brag that they were my own design and that I had made them myself!!!  And now it's time to share that pattern with you!!!!

Remember....I am a human and sometimes make mistakes!!  If you find an error with my pattern, please let me know in the comment section and I will try to correct it as soon as possible!!!


This pattern is an Original Design by Amy B Stitched. Feel free to make finished items for profit, but remember to give credit to me, and link back to my blog www.amysastitchatatime.blogspot.com  Thank You!!! Amy B


A lot of hard work goes into writing patterns.  Please feel free to share the link, but do not copy and distribute this pattern by any other means.

REUSABLE PRODUCE BAGS

Click HERE to get the PDF

SIZE: Small/Large and Medium

MATERIALS: Size 10 Cotton Thread (see NOTES below), size 7 Steel Hook, Larger eye needle for weaving ends, and Cord Clasp (optional)

GAUGE:  Gauge is not important

NOTES:  Really any size yarn and hook combo may be used to make these bags.  During the pattern test phase, the testing group used a variety of sizes and completed some amazing reusable produce bags just working from their stash. 

SMALL/LARGE BAGS

RND 1: ch 2, sc 6 times in 2nd ch from hook.  Sl st in 1st sc to join.
RND 2: Ch 1, (sc, ch 15, sc, ch 15) in each st around.  Sl st in 1st sc to join. (12 sc, 12 ch-15 sps)
RND 3: Sl st in next 7 chs. Ch 1, sc in ch 15 sp, ch 15. * Sc in next ch 15 sp, ch 15. Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st sc to join. (12 sc, 12 ch-15 sps)
FOR SMALL BAG RND 4-10: Repeat RND 3.
FOR LARGE BAG RND 4-15: Repeat RND 3.
EYELET RND: Ch 2, dc in same st. Ch 2, *(dc, ch 2) 4 times in next ch-15 sp. Dc next sc, ch 2.  Repeat from * around. Sl st in top of 1st dc to join.  (60 dc, 60 ch-2 sps)
LAST RND: Ch 1, sc in each st and 2 sc in each ch-2 sp around.  Sl st in 1st sc to join. Finish off. (180 sc)
TIE: Ch 220. Finish off, but no need to weave in the tails on the tie.  Thread your tie onto a large eyed needle and weave it through the eyelet round 2 dc at a time.  Slip the Cord Clasp onto the free ends of the tie and cinch bag closed. If you choose to not use the cord clasp, simply cinch the bag closed and secure the ties.  Knot the ends of the tie together. Clip threads at the ends of the tie short. 

MEDIUM BAG

RND 1: Ch 6, Trc in 6th ch from hook, ch 1.  (Trc, ch 1) 10 more times. Sl st in 5th ch of beg ch 6 to join. (12 trc, 12 ch-1 sp)
RND 2: Ch 1, sc. * Ch 9, sc in next ch sp, ch 9, sc in top of next trc.  Repeat from * around. Sl st in 1st sc to join. (24 ch-9 sps)
RND 3-15: Sl st in next 4 chs, ch 1. * Sc in ch-9 sp, ch 9. Repeat from * around. Sl st in first sc to join. (24 ch 9 sps)
RND 16 EYELET RND: Ch 2, dc in join, ch 2. * (Dc, ch 2) 2 times in ch 9 sp, (dc, ch 2) in next sc. Repeat from * around. Sl st in top of first dc to join. (72 dc, 72 ch-2 sps)
RND 17: Ch 1, sc in first st. * 2 sc in each ch 2 sp, sc in each dc.  Repeat from * around.  Sl st in top of first sc to join. Finish off.  (216 sc)
TIE: Ch 220. Finish off, but no need to weave in the tails on the tie.  Thread your tie onto a large eyed needle and weave it through the eyelet round 2 dc at a time.  Slip the Cord Clasp onto the free ends of the tie and cinch bag closed. If you choose to not use the cord clasp, simply cinch the bag closed and secure the ties.  Knot the ends of the tie together. Clip threads at the ends of the tie short. 


If you like getting my FREE patterns and don't want to miss out on any future ones, you can subscribe to my blog and have all of my new entries delivered straight to your email inbox! Just type your email address into the field on the right hand column under the heading "follow by email" and click submit.  Be sure to check your email (sometimes it will end up in your junk/spam folder) and follow the verification steps for your subscription to be complete!!

Blessings!!!
Amy B

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts