FIESTA SWIRLS DOILY PATTERN

Last week I was taking a look through one of my old design notebooks and came across this doily pattern I had designed many years back.  I had TRIED to get it published with a national crochet magazine....but it came back declined :(  I decided to change the pattern up a bit and also to change the color I used.  I had almost ALWAYS made this doily in white or some neutral color but recently I had picked up a really colorful variegated thread and thought I would give it a shot.  The results were BREATHTAKING!!!!  So much so that I had to change the name!!!  While in my mind the doily looks like the flower Zinnia, the new colors just needed a SPICY name!!  I hope you enjoy making this as much as I have had designing it!!  I would love to see pics of your finished doilies and all the different color combinations you come up with!!

This is an Original Design by Amy B Stitched.  Feel free to make for profit, but remember to give credit to me, and link back to my blog www.amysastitchatatime.blogspot.com












FIESTA SWIRLS DOILY
pdf version available here

SIZE: 10” before blocking

MATERIALS: 
  •  Size 10 crochet cotton approx. 150 yds (Aunt Lydias Classic 10 Passionata for colorful, OR  Red Heart Bamboo Crochet thread for white note: RH bamboo works up smaller and has more drape than regular size 10 cotton thread)
  •  Size 8 steel crochet hook
  • GAUGE: first 4 rows of pattern = 2 ¼”


STITCHES AND TERMS USED:
  • Ch = chain
  •  Sl st = slip stitch
  •  3dc cl = 3 double crochet cluster
  •  4dc cl = 4 double crochet cluster
  •  Sp = space
  •  Sc = single crochet
  •  Hdc = half double crochet
  •  Dc = double crochet
  •  Sk = skip
  •  St/sts = stitch/stitches
  •  Trc = treble crochet

SPECIAL STITCHES INSTRUCTIONS:
  •   3 double crochet cluster/3dc cl: *yo, insert hook in ring, draw up a loop, yo, draw through two loops, repeat from * two more times, yo draw through all loops on hook.
  • 4 double crochet cluster/4dc cl: *yo, insert hook in ring, draw up a loop, yo, draw through two loops, repeat from * 3 more times, yo draw through all loops on hook.



Ch 6, sl st to form ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 2, 3dc cl, * ch 6 **, 4dc cl, repeat from * around 4 more times and end at **. Sl st to top of 3dc cl to join. 

Rnd 2: Sl st in ch 6 sp. Ch 1, [sc, hdc, 5dc, hdc, sc] in each ch 6 sp around.  Sl st to first sc to join.

Rnd 3: Sl st in next 3 sts. Ch 1, sc, ch 3, sk next st, sc in next st, *ch 6 **, sk next 6 sts, sc in next st, ch 3, sk next st, sc in next st, repeat from * around ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join. *5 sc in next ch 3 sp, sc in next st, 8 sc in next ch 6 sp **, sc in next st, repeat from * around ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 5: Ch 5, dc in same st as join, *sk next 2 sts, [dc, ch 2, dc] in next st, repeat from * around. Sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch 5 to join.

Rnd 6: Sl st to first ch sp. Ch 5, dc in same sp *, [dc, ch 2, dc] in next ch 2 sp, repeat from * around. Sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch 5 to join.

Rnd 7: Repeat Rnd 6.

Rnd 8: Sl st to first sp. Ch 5, [dc, ch 2, dc] in same sp *, [dc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, dc] in next ch 2 sp. Repeat from * around. Sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch 5 to join.

Rnd 9: Ch 1, sc in same st as join. Ch 6 *, sk next 2 dc of previous rnd, sc in next dc, ch 6. Repeat from * around. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 10: Ch 1, sc in same st as join. * Ch 7, sk next ch 6 sp, sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Ch 3, trc in first sc to join. 

Rnd 11: Ch 1, sc in top of trc. * Ch 7 **, sc in next ch 7 sp. Repeat from * ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 12: Ch 1, sc in same st as join. * 9 sc in next ch 7 sp, sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 13: sl st in next 5 sts, ch 1, sc in same st. * Ch 7, sk next 9 sc on previous row **, sc in next st. repeat from * around ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 14: Repeat Rnd 12.

Rnd 15: Repeat Rnd 13.

Rnd 16: Repeat Rnd 12.

Rnd 17: Sl st in next 5 sts, ch 1, sc in same st.  * Ch 9, sk next 9 sc of previous rnd **, sc in next st. Repeat from * around ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 18: Ch 1, sc in same st as join. * 11 sc in next ch 9 sp, sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 19: Sl st in next 6 sts, ch 1, sc in same st. * Ch 9, sk next 11 sc **, sc in next st, repeat from * around ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 20: Repeat Rnd 18.

Rnd 21: Sl st in next 6 sts, ch 1, sc in same st. * Ch 11, sk next 11 sts **, sc in next st. Repeat from * around ending at **. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 22: Ch 1, sc in same st as join. * 13 sc in next ch 11 sp, sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Sl st in first sc to join.

Rnd 23: Sl st in each st around.  Finish off.



Be Blessed!!
Amy B

Comments

  1. Incredible how a change of color really seemed to change the pattern! The white one is drab compared to the colorful swirls! So glad you changed it up and shared with us here in Cyberland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Bonnie!!! I love sharing my creations with EVERYONE!! LOL

      Delete
  2. I think the white one looks more like a Zinnia, and would look like one also in one solid jewel color with the center yellow. The Colorful one is my favorite, it definitely goes with the name Fiesta Swirls. Great work in both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the LOVE!!!! I really can't decide which I like better!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh I love them both! I'd use the white one in a frame for some newlyweds =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the name and love how they look! I have never been really good with doilies though. Not much practice I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started making doilies when I was a young teenager. I don't even think my first ones used a patter. I still have one in my storage unit. It's a lovely variegated purple with white border. When I find it I will have to post a picture :D

      Delete
  5. These are so beautiful. I have been diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis for a year now and miss my needle craft. If they can get it under control I would love to make one for my grandmother who also teaches others the arts. Thank you so much for sharing your gifts. I will share your link with many more to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement and sharing my link!! I pray they can get your RA under control so that you can enjoy stitching again. I'm sure your grandmother would love a sample of this pattern :D

      Delete
  6. it's so beautiful! thanks for sharing this dollie.
    I am new in crochet and I would like to make this dollie, do you have a You Tube patron?
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts